Many time this question must have arisen in the mind “What is Dedicated Server Hosting”. You may have heard the term “dedicated server hosting” and wondered what it meant or how it could be beneficial to you and your business. In a concise, Dedicated server hosting offers the capabilities and resources of an entire server to one business or website without having to share that server with other sites and businesses.
What Exactly Is Dedicated Server Hosting?
Dedicated servers are typically used to host high-traffic websites, web applications, and for other hosting scenarios where performance is paramount.
Types of Dedicated Server Hosting
Dedicated server hosting can be classified into two types:-
- Managed: In the Managed Dedicated Server Hosting complete server management tasks are performed at service provider’s end. In addition to this, the server is monitored and required applications are installed to ensure swift business functioning. The service provider offers application support.
- Unmanaged: In the Unmanaged Dedicated Server Hosting, Both the Managed & Unmanaged Server delivers the Same functionality. But In Unmanaged dedicated servers hosting the Servers are hosted at the provider’s facility, but managed by clients’ internal IT team.
Dedicated Server Hardware
A dedicated server is essentially a computer like the desktop machines that you use at home or at work. Each server contains processors, memory, storage, network hardware, and buses to connect the components together.
But dedicated servers don’t look like ordinary computers and they don’t contain quite the same components. Unlike the consumer-grade components of the average PC or Mac, dedicated servers contain enterprise-grade hardware that is more reliable, less prone to failure, and much more powerful.
Dedicated Server RAM
Enterprise-grade servers typically use ECC (Error Correcting Code) RAM, which is both more reliable and more expensive than the RAM in the average laptop or PC. ECC RAM includes special hardware that prevents many of the most common causes of data corruption. Corruption occurs for all sorts of reasons, ranging from electrical interference to cosmic rays, and ECC RAM is capable of detecting and making corrections when errors occur.
Error correction makes dedicated servers more reliable, and where business critical applications are concerned, reliability matters. Dedicated servers run 24-hours-a-day for years at a time without a hiccup, and they can do that because they’re built with high-quality components.
Dedicated servers are also able to accommodate more memory than an average machine: it’s not unusual for a dedicated server to be equipped with up to 512GB of memory.
Dedicated server processors are, as you might expect, the most powerful processors on the market. Chip manufacturers create processors that specifically target servers, such as Intel’s Xeon range, which is engineered for optimal speed, reliability, and scalability.
In this context, scalability is directly related to the number of processor cores that can be installed on a server. The most powerful dedicated servers have upward of 40 processor cores, making them capable of crunching huge amounts of data.
High-traffic websites and eCommerce stores are hosted on one or more dedicated servers. Hosting a web site that receives thousands of concurrent requests is resource intensive, and many site owners opt to “scale up” to a more powerful server, instead of “scaling out” across many less powerful servers. Choosing a more powerful dedicated server is less complex than building out a cluster of smaller machines.
Who Exactly Need Dedicated Server Hosting?
Dedicated servers are an expensive proposition when compared with shared server hosting and therefore, suitable only for limited individuals or organizations. All in all, dedicated server hosting is ideal for:
- High traffic websites that require dedicated bandwidth to function properly.
- Companies with a dynamic website that requires changes every other day.
- Companies that aim to scale their online presence.
- Organizations that have a large capital base.
Advantages of Dedicated Server Hosting:
- Increased reliability and performance.
- Enhanced security.
- No need to purchase additional equipment.
- Pay and Forget Solution.
- Maximum Uptime Guaranteed.